"Let me show you healthy can taste good."

Healthy 1 ingredient ice cream ?!?


Ice cream is one of my weak spots & unfortunately (or fortunately?) for me, there are many non-dairy brands available including So Delicious (soy base), Rice Dream (rice milk base), Coconut Bliss (coconut milk base), and Purely Decadent (soy or coconut base) just to name a few.

There are some delicious flavors available as well: Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl, Coconut Almond Chip, Mint Chip, Mocha Almond Fudge, Turtle Trails, Cookie Dough & Cherry Amaretto….

However, as I try to follow the nutrition advise I share with others, I cannot be eating ice cream from the carton. A couple Friday nights ago I had to get cat food & since I was right next to the grocery store, I went in looking for ice cream, fully intending to eat the whole pint. After reading the food label & learning there was 840 calories & 52 grams of fat in the carton of So Delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl I had to rethink my plan.

Instead I decided to spend $1 on an avocado instead of $5+ on the ice cream & try a recipe I found on pinterest. It sounded weird but worth a try.

1 frozen banana
1 avocado
½ cup sugar (I did without any but most people would miss it)
vanilla

Everything is blended in a food processor. While avocados are a high fat food, the nutritional values for this ice cream replacement are still much better.

It was actually good. The frozen banana & avocado gave it a very creamy texture & the fruit alone was sweet enough for me. A little too avocado-ey for me as I’m not a huge fan. But this recipe inspired me & I’ve been going crazy with banana based “ice creams.”

For a single serving, the basic recipe is 1 extra large banana frozen (open & break into chunks before freezing), ½ cup other frozen fruit (optional), add-ins or toppings.

I have enjoyed:
Cocoa berry - Banana & mixed berries topped with cacao nibs
Tropical - Banana & mango topped with goji berries
Chocolate peanut butter - Banana, 1 Tbsp cocoa powder & 1 Tbsp peanut butter
Chocolate mint - Banana, 1/4 tsp mint extract, 1 tbsp cacao nibs or mini chocolate chips

Here is a video demonstrating the process. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment