"Let me show you healthy can taste good."

Asian market treasures & Thai eggplant stirfry recipe

On the way home from running errands, I decided to stop at an Asian market. I used to frequent it years ago when we had exchange students from Japan, but have not been since I've lived away from home & found a joy for cooking.

If you have an Asian market nearby, GO! It was a hidden treasure. The variety of produce was amazing with even more amazing prices. I got everything pictured for $20.

2 varieties bok choy, purple yams, fresh peas, basil, dill,
young Thai coconut, shiitake mushrooms, Thai eggplant,
bitter melon, & green leaf lettuce.         
















The selection of foreign produce was exciting. I ended up buying a few items I've never had; the purple yams, young Thai coconut, bitter melon, 2 varieties of bok choy & Thai eggplant.

I simply mashed the yams. The coconut meat & milk went in a smoothie with strawberries, frozen banana & vanilla almond milk. The recipe I'm sharing today is for Thai eggplant with basil.

I am not a fan of the usual purple eggplant. I think it's the squishy texture I don't like. But Thai eggplant are small, green & round with a firm texture.


8-10 Thai eggplants, stem removed & quartered
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
handful fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped

Heat large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, onion & chickpeas & stir fry until they begin to soften, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar & vinegar & sautee another minute. Turn off heat & stir in basil. Serve over brown rice or quinoa for a complete meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment