"Let me show you healthy can taste good."

Party Food - Zucchini Rolls & Ginger Snap balls

The holidays are over, which brought a lot of family gatherings & work potlucks. As a dietitian, my coworkers expect something healthy from me. They may look around the table & say, "Jenelle must have brought that." Usually they are referring to a green salad. While I have nothing against a good salad, I like to show a little more creativity in showcasing the beauty of plant foods. I bring something filling enough to serve as my entree in case it is the only dish I can eat, and to entice the masses, I also bring a sweet.

While the holidays are over, football season is not. Being from Seattle, buzz of Super Bowl parties is non-stop. I'll be honest, I don't understand football, but I can't help but get caught up in the excitement of my home team in the Super Bowl. 

Here are a couple shareable dishes that are also pleasing to the eye.

Zucchini Rolls with Jalapeno Hummus

You'll need:
4-6 large zucchini
Vegetable Fillings of choice (I used carrots, bell peppers & sprouts)
1 recipes Jalapeno Hummus (below)




















Thinly slice zucchinis into long strips. This is best done with a mandolin, but a knife will work if you don't have one. Spread a thin layer of hummus on each zucchini strip. You'll learn quickly if you're using too much, as it'll squeeze out the other end when you roll. Place a few strips of veggies toward one end of zucchini & roll. Secure with a toothpick. I also cracked some fresh pepper over the top for presentation.




















Jalapeno Hummus

Basic hummus is chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice & tahini. I prefer to use avocado in place of the oil. For this recipe, I used lime juice to compliment the jalapeno. Blend the following in a food processor until smooth. There will be a lot of leftovers, perfect for dipping veggies, pita or using on paninis.

1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 small jalapeno, deseeded
1/2 avocado
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic

And last but not least, dessert! These raw ginger snap cookies were perfect for a potluck. 




No comments:

Post a Comment