"Let me show you healthy can taste good."

Coconuts Round 2 - Simple Coconut Yogurt

As you saw, I bought a case of 9 coconuts. The 4 we cracked this week provided plenty of water to blend into the milk I shared Monday, plus I have a pitcher full to blend into my morning smoothies. I used the flesh of 2 for the milk. But what to do with the rest? Especially when my husband isn't over his experience with shredded, dried coconut so he believes he dislikes all coconut.... Yogurt!

I have tried many commercial non-dairy yogurts; soy, almond, coconut. I have only enjoyed the taste of one, Amande brand, but it's nearly $2 for a single container and the ingredients list is full of junk.

I searched for some simple coconut yogurt recipes & was pleasantly surprised you can make it without cultures. Of course it won't have the probiotic benefits, but to be honest I am unsure whether many of the commercial ones do either. I do plan to try culturing the next batch, but my dehydrator (which I use to keep the temp warm for fermentation) is currently full with a giant jar on kombucha brewing (more on that is a future post).

I compiled a few recipes to come up with my method & am pleased with how it turned out. My husband even sampled it & said it is something he would eat.

Blend the following in a food processor or blender:
Flesh of 2 coconuts
3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used cashew)
Pinch sea salt
Juice of 1/2 small lime
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 medjool dates, pitted - If using dried dates, soak in hot water for 20 minutes to soften before blending.

Below is a serving, topped with strawberry chia seed jelly. The yogurt firms up to a creamy yogurt consistency after refrigerating.


No comments:

Post a Comment